Cellulite is more prevalent in women than men
and is something most women deal with,
even those who do not have a weight problem!
Remember, you are a beautiful human being and the goal of this website is to encourage you to be happy and content with who you are right now. We all have varying degrees of energy, health issues, and other outside stressors that have brought us to the place we are in currently.
I believe that we should strive to love all people and ourselves with tolerance and sincerity. It is only through this mindset that we will be able to not waste a day of our lives caught in depression or jealousy. Hopefully, with all that said, we are open to improving our physical and mental health, as most people have something they can improve on.
The woman above is beautiful in our society’s perspective, and she is also, I’m guessing, 18 years old or in her early twenties. Those of us who are much older, just can’t look like her, even with the best plastic surgery or all the money in the world.
But, improving our health and the way we think about ourselves and how we look can affect our happiness. So it is in this spirit that I share these facts. Good health is worth the effort. This article will head you in the direction of good health, and that’s important no matter what our age.
There is a scientific explanation for cellulite but to keep things easy, I am focusing on what you need to do to get rid of cellulite. This list is not a guarantee of complete success because of your efforts and discipline in doing all of the things below to reduce cellulite will vary. But if you work hard and do everything regularly you will see an improvement, and if you work even harder, you will see even more of an improvement.
I know people who were overweight by up to a 100 pounds and have firmed up all areas with cellulite to the point of not being able to see any cellulite, and they were able to firm their upper arms or bat wings as people like to call them which is amazing to me!
Our skin is made up of 3 layers, the epidermis, dermis, and hypodermis. 50% of body fat is stored in our hypodermis. This fat is what insulates our body and is stored to help contribute to energy levels. The problem of cellulite lies in the fact that there is no clear separation between the third layer of skin and the second layer (dermis). The fat stored in the hypodermis can move into the dermis and give the look of the dimpled skin of which we call cellulite.
There are proven ways to lower the cellulite that we see on our bodies, but it takes discipline, work, and excellent nutrition to see a difference. These are the three things I struggle with, but along with millions of people I will make a resolution for the new year to take better care of myself, physically and mentally, and this will include the things that have been proven to help diminish cellulite! The ways to lower cellulite work the best if you practice all the suggestions together. If you practice only one of the suggestions below your results if any, will be diminished substantially if not completely. Are you up for the challenge?
- Exercise is an important part of losing cellulite. To help strengthen the layer of skin that contains the stored fat, we need to build muscle with strength training. Muscle provides the energy the body needs to burn fat which also will help lower cellulite. As we age, our skin tends to lose the collagen that provides the elasticity in our skin. Losing elasticity allows more fat to push through to the dermis where we see the bumps in our skin. Exercise also helps to tighten the collagen fibers in our skin. Utube is a great place to find free strength training exercise demonstrations using weights, bands, or your body for resistant exercises. Below are specific exercises to get you started.
Lunges – Targets outer thighs, inner thighs, and glutes – Move one leg forward at a time lowering into a squat and back again. This exercise strengthens muscles even more than the traditional squats. Step forward as much as you can handle at first and start with a few for each side then work your way up to 20-25 each side. Always keep your stomach tucked to protect your back and never move forward past your toes. This will concentrate on these three muscle groups safely.Side Lunges – Targets Glutes, Inner Thighs, Outer Thighs – Do one side at a time and make sure your stomach is tight (sucked in) to protect your back. It’s also important to be sure you do not over extend your knee forward over your toes. Concentrate on getting as low as possible, start a few on each side a day and keep working towards doing more in time.
Squats -Targets Glutes and Outer Thighs – start without weights and work your way up to them if desired. It’s important to lower your body as close to a seated position as you can and don’t allow your knees to go past your toes. Lean on your heels as you do this.
Leg Raises- Targets Inner Thighs – Makes sure to align your body like the picture below. You can bend your knee and place your foot in front or behind your straight leg. Let your inner thigh do all the work.
- Eat foods containing “ antioxidants” to help retain collagen in your skin. These foods include foods high in vitamin c and bioflavonoids. Red Bell peppers, green peppers, strawberries, tropical fruits, spinach, Brussel sprouts, broccoli, and teas are all high in bioflavonoids and vitamin c. These sources are best in their raw form, before cooking and are not canned or preserved.
- Eat More Green Foods to help eliminate end products of hormones(estrogen) which are stored in our fat cells and decrease fat burning in our bodies. We want to increase our bodies ability to burn fat, therefore reducing cellulite. Iceberg lettuce has minimal nutrients, and you will do better with dark green leafy vegetables. One helpful thing you can do to make eating well easier is the $5 Meal Plan. If you join, you will receive a meal plan and grocery list with it for every month (6 days a week). They offer plans for meals that only cost $5 to make, Paleo meals, 30-minute meals, vegetarian meals, and slow cooker meals.
- Lower stress which will help to lower the cortisol levels in our body. Cortisol decreases blood flow to our skin which lessens the ability to absorb the nutrients needed to counteract the effects of cortisol. Click here for 12 ways to reduce stress.
- Increase blood flows to the areas of your body that have cellulite. This activity will help to eliminate the fat storage that is protruding through the dermis layer of your skin along with the strength training that is tightening your muscles and contributing to burn fat. Blood flow can be increased with massage or foam rolling. There are different types of foam rollers and a few ways to do it.
- Take Collagen(a protein) supplements to increase skin elasticity and Glucosamine(a carbohydrate) for joint stability. These should only be used to supplement what you may not absorb in a diet rich in whole foods as listed above. Reminder – whole foods are on the outer edges of the supermarket. There you will find foods in their all natural state without additives and preservatives.
All of these suggestions can be new habits that help us to feel and look our best. I don’t know if there is scientific evidence to support this, but I have found the following to work in my life. If I can do something regularly for 30 days, over time, it will become a habit that will be easier and simpler to make myself do. If I do it regularly, it becomes a lifestyle. If we are also Intentionally preparing a menu that includes the right food and planning the best time to exercise every day you can’t help but succeed!
Below are my recommendations for getting healthy support and more.
If you desire to eat healthy but find it difficult to plan healthy meals consider eMeals Meal Planning Made Simple.
They have a variety of menu plans including slow cooker meals, budget planning, and vegetarian menus.
If you are serious about starting a healthier diet but you would like a support system to help you I recommend The Mayo Clinic. Looking to lose 6-10 lbs in two weeks? Start now with a 7 day free trial!
Learn how Michelle went from $0 a month to $50,000. with affiliate marketing. Now Michelle has an affiliate marketing course which taught me things I wouldn’t have found on my own. I strongly recommend it. It’s called Making Sense of Affiliate Marketing.
Starting a new business is a requires commitment and financial resources to invest in marketing, etc. The Lending Tree offers a variety of loans and makes the process easy. Get competing loan offers for your business at LendingTree.com.
Part of choosing to live a healthy lifestyle is your willingness to be active. REI has a huge variety of everything you need.